Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Broadside Contest Entrant #7: JACKIE CHOU

Poetic Discretion 


You write about me

though you don't know me well.

Like an impressionist painter

you're prone to use exaggerated hues

to fill in the blanks 

with your imagination.

It’s how you gain approval.

You even fictionalize my looks

for dramatic effect.

My black hair turns auburn.

My brown eyes gleam 

with amethyst light,

like some tipsy anime character 

confused about her identity.

I exist only under your pen,

held at an oblique angle,

so distorted you cannot tell 

the truth from fancy.


3 comments:

  1. I like the slipping from paint to ink and back again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m a fan of poetry that gives a glimpse into what it’s like to be represented in another poets’ work—it’s a weird fishbowl. This poem is my favorite at the half-way point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so many strong poems but I vote for this one, as the winner, for me. It’s a combination of a great “insider” poem, that also speaks to the universality of being seen as other than we are, whether in love, or hate. Beautifully written, vivid sense-related imagery.

    ReplyDelete

Now Available!

  Please purchase directly from the author Mary Baynor McKeel on Facebook. $5 PDF, $10 print.